Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sé hablar español...¡lo prometo!

Well, I moved in with the fam yesterday. It's going..........well. I guess. I was so tired after a long day of placement tests and interviews at the Fund and exploring Toledo that when Pili, her bf Javier and I finally got home to eat dinner w ith Raquel at 10 pm, I just couldn't handle any more español in one day! I know it's supposed to be all Spanish all the time, but my brain is hurting and it wears me out! So I probably looked like a complete moron to them. I can speak Spanish confidently around people I am comfortable with and who I know pretty well. But complete strangers make me self-conscious of my feeble attempts so that PLUS the extreme mental fatigue PLUS some straggling jetlag left me scrambling to come up with the simplest of words. I forgot the word vengo. That's like one of the first words you learn in Spanish 1. It means I come/am coming. The point is...there's a school for mentally challenged children down the street from our casa. La familia Rodriguez Garcia might have me transferred there if I don't step up my game. However, I finally unpacked and found my handy dandy pocket dictionary so I plan to wow them at dinner tonight with some vast improvements.

On a happier note, my house is adorable! I fully expected it to be dark and old, with a whole leg of jamón on the counter (I witnessed this--aka found it from facebook creeping--in a photo album of someone I know who spent last summer here in Toledo). But it's not old and dark and hammy at all! The apartment is very modern and Pili and Raquel made it really colorful and bright. It's SUCH a girls' house...Pili said my entire room came from IKEA.




I didn't think it would be appropriate to creep around and take pictures of my family and of the entire apartment on my first night here. Luckily though, when I came home from school today I had the place to myself for a while! So obviously I took advantage of the solitude to document my surroundings. Isn't it just PRECIOSA??!

1 comment:

Sheerin Mehdian said...

hahaha you are the creep of the earth. i love it. that house is so PRECIOSA and ikea-esque! hahaha "there's a school for mentally handicapped children.." that made me laugh out loud so vigorously. keep on postin'. i love reading! also, the same thing happened to me in china with all the (in this case) chinese ALL THE TIME. it can drive people to insanity. you need to invest in some american dvds or watch american tv shows online. i would suggest teenmom...you can access it on MTV.com or on projectfreetv.com. i love you, walshy!