Thursday, December 16, 2010

Un-Toledo We Meet Again...

First I just need to say that this is the end of the blog. If you happen to be a movie director and you just happened to come across this blog just now, PLEASE go to the first post and start reading there. Holy Toledo has some serious blockbuster potential.

As I write this, I am sitting in the Chicago O'Hare Airport, having just posted my last Fall 2010 Facebook Photo Album, teary eyed for the umpteenth time today, and a little poorer after paying for internet for my 7 hour layover. At 6 am today Mama Pili drove me to the bus stop and we both cried for about 10 minutes togather before we said adios for the last time. Raquel didn't come--she was sleeping (typical), but I haven't seen much of her for the last few days anyway. I am disappointed though that I didn't really get to say goodbye to Estefanía, but she called last night to say goodbye and exchange emails and Facebook information. Even though she didn't live with us, I felt so much closer to her than I did to Raquel.

Yesterday Abuelo and Tía Emma came over to say goodbye. Abuelo was asking me if I was ready to leave Spain and go back home to the States. When I answered no, he just looked at me and said, "Well, you know the solution for that right? It's very easy. Find a Spanish boyfriend tonight so you can stay here with him!"

Well, I tried really hard to do what Abuelo told me, but considering the fact that I am stateside right now instead of Spainside, it's clear that my novio quest did not result in the citizenship-by-marriage-slash-true-love-for-life ending I had hoped for.

I knew I would be really sad to leave, but I didn't expect to cry this much. Especially when Mama Pili said goodbye. She told me I always have a family in Toledo and their house is always my house too. Cue the waterworks.

At lunch yesterday Raquel asked me what has been my favorite thing about Spain and I honestly couldn't pick one thing. I tried and I tried, but I just couldn't! TIHLALIS is going strong with almost 30 entries so far. TIHLAL is pretty solid, considering it is about a cat, with 9 entries. TTCSAIATF is pretty extensive as well with almost 60 entries. But TIWMALIS would be endless. There are so many things I will miss about living in Spain. The people, the lifestyle, the Fundación, the (lack of) studying, learning loads in spite of said lack of studying, traveling, language barriers, overcoming said language barriers, todo, todo, todo. The list is infinite.

Another sadness: most of the people I've gotten close to over the semester are not coming back with me to Notre Dame. Some are staying in Toledo for the year (something I wish with all my heart I was doing as well), some go to other universities around the country, others live in Spain and obviously will stay there. Luckily Caitlin and I have grand plans to buy "Wine Tasting For Dummies" and become vino-experts...otherwise I'd be SOL and SOFriendsFromToledo.

I'm certain that when I am back home in Memphis among family and friends, just in time for Christmas, distributing their thoughtfully chosen gifts, I will be happy. But until then, whilst I am alone in O'Hare airport, missing Spain, in casa-limbo, with only $14, 23 Euros and 1,010 Hungarian Forints in my wallet, I'm allowed to be sad. VALE?!

Ok, enough melodrama.

Except........

This post also marks the end of Holy Toledo. As much as I have LOVED blogging about Spain, I'm just not the kind of girl who blogs about how many miles I ran that day (usually zero) or what I ate for dinner (it varies...like you even care). I'll leave good ole Holy Toledo out here in cyberspace forever, so don't fret. It will always be here for reminiscing purposes. However, it will remain untouched and thus untainted (is that a word?). Purely a blog about electrifying tales, I'm not going to ruin it by adding more. It's perfect the way it is...at least I think so!

If you've read all these posts, major props and even bigger thanks. There's a stats page that tells me how many people from every country read my blog each day. Big shoutout to my 19 readers from the United Arab Emirates, whoever you are. Also all the randos from Venezuela, Canada, Russia, China, France, Germany, Ireland, England, and Croatia. And of course everyone from Spain and the US! I don't know who you all are, but you make my day and motivate me to write.

One last thing. Sorry, I know this is long, but I still have 2 hours left here before my next flight. The Bacon Wallet. I considered leaving him in Spain as a "footprint" of sorts, but I couldn't bear to part with him. So The Bacon Wallet is still in my purse, preparing for our next adventure. I think we shall be traveling companions forever.

Well, I think that's about it! If I know you, I'm sure I'll see you soon, unless I left you in Spain, in which case it might be later rather than sooner. If I don't know you and you stumbled here, I hope you've enjoyed. Ha sido un placer. No os digo "adios," sino "hasta luego."

...or should I say "LUEGO FUEGO??" Ha. Jk.

Hasta luego. Que vayas con Dios, y que tengas suerte en todo.

Un besito,
Elizabeth/Eli/Corazón/Cariño/Nena/Hija/Niña /Stephanie/Cielo/Lizzy/Melissa



P.S. One last TIHL.

TIHLALIS #30:

30. I love life in Spain and I will miss it very much. I'll be back one day. Very soon.

Javier, Mama Pili and I after graduation from the Fundación. Such a proud moment.

2 comments:

Sheerin Mehdian said...

this blog was the definition of boss and very electrifying to the extreme. glad to have you back though, walshypants!!!

Unknown said...

Just checking back in to make sure there were no more posts! Welcome home Lizzie!
Aunt Debbie